In order to edit any page on the website you must log into the Content Management System. You can do this by going to http://octavechoir.co.uk/perch. Note that the login details used here separate from those used to access the members pages. If you do not have a login you will need to ask Paul Ellis to set you up on the system, raise a ticket on this system.
There are two ways of finding the page you want to edit. When you log in you are shown the Dashboard, this shows a list of editable pages and a list of events on the same screen. You can get back to this screen by clicking on the left-most icon at the top of the screen that looks like a gauge. The Pages screen just shows a list of editable pages. You can get there by clicking on 'Pages' at the top of the page. Select the page you want to edit from either list.
Each editable page is split into sections called regions. For instance, the 'Sing with us' page has two regions, the Frequently Asked Questions on the right of the page and the main text on the left. This corresponds to 'FAQs' and 'SingText' in the region list respectively. Each region has a type that dictates how it is edited.
Text block regions contain just a TextArea, see below in the Editable Elements section. They tend to be used on their own rather than in lists.
There are just two text lines in these regions, one for the question and one for the answer. The question will appear in bold on the page. They appear in lists, to add a new question click on 'Save & Add another'. The individual questions appear in the same order on the final page as they appear in the list on the editing page. To reorder them click on 'reorder' but make sure you have saved your new item first.
This is the set of images that get shown on the home page, you cannot edit this region.
This region consists of two elements, a title and a text area. The title, in the current design, appears in red above the text area. Text Areas are explained below in the Editable Elements section. Small Items generally appear in multiples. To add a new one click on 'Save & Add another'. The individual items appear in the same order on the final page as they appear in the list on the editing page. To reorder the items click on 'reorder' but make sure you have saved your new item first.
These are exactly the same as Small Items except that the title, obviously, appears slightly larger when it is shown on the page.
Biog regions are similar to the Med/Small items but with the option of an added image. For explanations of TextArea and Images see the Editable Elements section.
The links page has sections that have a heading followed by a number of links. To add a new link to an existing section click on '+ Add another' at the bottom of a list of links. The URL contains the web address destination of the link and the Link Text contains the text that will appear on the page. To reorder the links within the section grab the number at the start of the line and drag it up or down. To add an entire new section click on 'Save & Add another'. The individual sections appear in the same order on the final page as they appear in the list on the editing page. To reorder the items click on 'reorder' but make sure you have saved your new item first.
There are two TextAreas in this region (see below for TextArea instructions). The 'Intro' appears above the contact form before the form is submitted, the 'Thank you message' appears in place of the form after it has been submitted.
These are used to edit mult-line text. It uses a format called Markdown, you don't need to know any HTML.
- To add a new paragraph leave a blank link
- Avoid using Headings, the text area is usually used in regions that have a separate heading. If you must add a heading use bold text.
- To add bold text surround it with **, e.g. **this is bold** - alternatively highlight the text and click the B button.
- To add italic text surround it with _ e.g. _this is italic_ - alternatively highlight the text and click on the I button.
- To add a bullet list like this one start each line with a '-' and don't leave a blank line between items
- Don't use the File button
- To add an inline image put the cursor where you want it and click the picture icon. Remember to check how the page looks with the image in the text after you've added it.
- To add a link surround the text you want to be a link with  and follow it with (<URL>, "<tooltip>") where <URL> is replaced by the destination website address and <tooltip> is replaced with a caption that appears when the user hovers their mouse over the link. e.g. [Octave](http://octavechoir.co.uk "Octave Choir").
Images are stored as 'assets'. To add an image click on 'Select or upload an image'. This will open an image selection panel. If the image is already on the site you can reuse it by clicking on it and then clicking on 'Use selected'. If it needs to be loaded onto the site first use '+ add asset', click where it says 'upload'.